Weighted vests are an excellent supplement to an osteoporosis exercise program. A number of my clients use them to add extra weight to their body as they do their weight bearing exercises. This article is a follow up to a blog article I wrote several months ago on the benefits of weighted vests.
Since the publication of that blog post, I have had many people (both clients and health professionals) ask me to recommend a specific weighted vest. I cannot recommend just one brand of weighted vests. Each has a different design and some are more suitable for certain people than others.
The selection that is right for you depends on a number of issues:
- Your build (do you have a long or short trunk?).
- Your concern about the look (some are more stylish than others and can be worn in a public setting such as a grocery store).
- How much weight can you bear? Most of the weighted vests I examined supported 4 pounds of weight although several will go to 8 pounds. You need to determine how much you need and can comfortably carry.
Recently, I tried five different weighted vests. Here is my review of each brand. Prices are quoted in U.S. dollars unless indicated otherwise. But … Please confirm price points with the vendor!
If you have used either of the weighted vests reviewed below or others I have not covered and want to share your experiences, please use the Comment box at the bottom of this post. Please share your ideas and personal experiences.
And finally, I did not receive compensation for the review of these products.
- Website: www.walkvest.com
- Made of washable cotton.
- Weights are coated iron plates.
- All weighted vests are long. “Small weighted vests” are too long for someone under 5’4”.
- The construction could be better. One of the snaps broke off the day I received it.
- Weights are potentially uncomfortable if you have wide hips and a short waist.
- Weighted vest is fairly attractive except for the large logo.
- Costs: $69.95 for weighted vest plus shipping. Price includes 4 pounds of weights (8 times ½ lb) and a CD.
- Note to Canadians: Add $34.00 to $39.00 for shipping.
- Website: www.nyknyc.com
- The type of material varies depending on the style of weighted vest. NYKNYC offers a weighted vest made of neoprene (shown in the photo) and a different weighted vest made of a quilted fabric for the spring and fall season.
- Weights are bars. I was unable to determine the material used to make the weights.
- Depending on your individual taste, the weighted vest could be stylish enough to wear when doing errands, etc.
- Bars are roughly finished and have pointed corners.
- The small weighted vest accommodates 4 pounds.
- Costs: $79.00 plus shipping and handling. Price includes 4 pounds of weights (8 times ½ pound)
Wasatch Weight Vest
- Website: www.wasatchweightvest.com
- Weighted vest is made from a stretchable cordura and is washable.
- Weights are lead beads in individual one-pound pouches.
- Pouches are made of canvas and have a lip for easy handling in and out of the pockets.
- Stylish enough to wear when doing errands, etc.
- The small weighted vest accommodates up to 16 pounds.
- The staff in Utah are very friendly and will ensure to send you the best suited for you.
- Costs: $125.00 plus shipping. Price includes 8 pounds of weights (8 times 1 pound).
- Note to Canadians: Shipping was $27. In addition, I was charged an extra $20 for HST (in Ontario) by the delivery man. This made the weighted vest a bit too pricy for me.
Mir Weighted Vest
- Website: www.mirweightedvest.com
- Weighted vest is made of 1200 D-Nylon compressed and is washable.
- Weights are solid iron bars.
- Belt is made with soft but strong enhanced rubber.
- Adjustable straps around the shoulders and bottom of the weighted vest ensure that it will not move or shift.
- It looks like a workout weighted vest and would appeal more to men and younger athletic women.
- Belt is one size fit all. Smallest circumference is 32 inches.
- 30 days money back guarantee and 60 day exchange policy.
- MiR Air Flow Short Vest with 10 pounds of weight is $129.95. Maximum weight limit is 50 pounds.
- Women Adjustable weighted vest with 10 pounds of weight is $89.99. Maximum weight limit is 30 pounds.
- Belt with 10 pounds of weight is $89.95. Maximum weight limit is 36 pounds.
- Weights are also sold separately.
- Note to Canadians: It will be more economical for you to order from the Toronto-based supplier, Warrior Fitness at 416-926-1222.
Weight Vest 4 Osteoporosis
- Website: www.weightvest4osteoporosis.com
- Weighted vest is made of a breathable nylon.
- The weights are made of lead pellets encased in plastic and then nylon – giving them a softer feel than regular weights.
- The small size holds up to 10 pounds, medium and large size holds up to 16 pounds of weight.
- Padding is provided under the weights in the shoulder region for added comfort.
- Weights sit just over the front of the shoulder and in the mid to upper back.
- The position of the weights encourages improvement in postural alignment.
- The long weighted vest would appeal more to the 60 plus age group – while the shorter one might have more appeal with a younger group.
- Costs: $132.00 includes 10 pounds of weights.
- Note to Canadians: Add $20.00 for shipping.
Health Professionals: Building Better Bones Online Course
Learn the Prevention, Treatment and Management of Osteoporosis.
Women and Men: Exercise for Better Bones Program
Osteoporosis exercise program that strengthens bone, reduces fracture risk, improves balance and builds confidence.