Weighted vests are an excellent supplement to an osteoporosis exercise program. A number of my clients use them to add extra weight to their body as they do their weight bearing exercises. This article is a follow up to a blog article I wrote several months ago on the benefits of weighted vests.
Since the publication of that blog post, I have had many people (both clients and health professionals) ask me to recommend a specific weighted vest. I cannot recommend just one brand of weighted vests. Each has a different design and some are more suitable for certain people than others.
Weighted Vests for Osteoporosis Exercise
The selection that is right for you depends on a number of issues:
- Your build (do you have a long or short trunk?).
- Your concern about the look (some are more stylish than others and can be worn in a public setting such as a grocery store).
- How much weight can you bear? Most of the weighted vests I examined supported 4 pounds of weight although several will go to 8 pounds. You need to determine how much you need and can comfortably carry.
Recently, I tried five different weighted vests. Here is my review of each brand. Prices are quoted in U.S. dollars unless indicated otherwise. But … Please confirm price points with the vendor!
If you have used either of the weighted vests reviewed below or others I have not covered and want to share your experiences, please use the Comment box at the bottom of this post. Please share your ideas and personal experiences.
Mir Weighted Vest
The MiR Weighted vest is one of my favourites and I highly recommend it to my clients.
- The MiR Women Adjustable Weighted Vest is available on Amazon.
- Weighted vest is made of 1200 D-Nylon compressed and is washable.
- Weights are solid iron bars.
- Belt is made with soft but strong enhanced rubber.
- Adjustable straps around the shoulders and bottom of the weighted vest ensure that it will not move or shift.
- It looks like a workout weighted vest and would appeal more to men and younger athletic women.
- Belt is one size fit all. Smallest circumference is 32 inches.
- 30 days money back guarantee and 60 day exchange policy.
- MiR Air Flow Short Vest with 10 pounds of weight is $129.95. Maximum weight limit is 50 pounds.
- Women Adjustable weighted vest with 10 pounds of weight is $89.99. Maximum weight limit is 30 pounds.
- Belt with 10 pounds of weight is $89.95. Maximum weight limit is 36 pounds.
- Weights are also sold separately.
- Made of washable cotton.
- Weights are coated iron plates.
- All weighted vests are long. “Small weighted vests” are too long for someone under 5’4”.
- The construction could be better. One of the snaps broke off the day I received it.
- Weights are potentially uncomfortable if you have wide hips and a short waist.
- Weighted vest is fairly attractive except for the large logo.
- Costs: $69.95 for weighted vest plus shipping. Price includes 4 pounds of weights (8 times ½ lb) and a CD.
- Note to Canadians: Add $34.00 to $39.00 for shipping.
- The type of material varies depending on the style of weighted vest. NYKNYC offers a weighted vest made of neoprene (shown in the photo) and a different weighted vest made of a quilted fabric for the spring and fall season.
- Weights are bars. I was unable to determine the material used to make the weights.
- Depending on your individual taste, the weighted vest could be stylish enough to wear when doing errands, etc.
- Bars are roughly finished and have pointed corners.
- The small weighted vest accommodates 4 pounds.
- Costs: $79.00 plus shipping and handling. Price includes 4 pounds of weights (8 times ½ pound)
Wasatch Weight Vest
- Weighted vest is made from a stretchable cordura and is washable.
- Weights are lead beads in individual one-pound pouches.
- Pouches are made of canvas and have a lip for easy handling in and out of the pockets.
- Stylish enough to wear when doing errands, etc.
- The small weighted vest accommodates up to 16 pounds.
- The staff in Utah are very friendly and will ensure to send you the best suited for you.
- Costs: $125.00 plus shipping. Price includes 8 pounds of weights (8 times 1 pound).
- Note to Canadians: Shipping was $27. In addition, I was charged an extra $20 for HST (in Ontario) by the delivery man. This made the weighted vest a bit too pricy for me.
Weight Vest 4 Osteoporosis
- Weighted vest is made of a breathable nylon.
- The weights are made of lead pellets encased in plastic and then nylon – giving them a softer feel than regular weights.
- The small size holds up to 10 pounds, medium and large size holds up to 16 pounds of weight.
- Padding is provided under the weights in the shoulder region for added comfort.
- Weights sit just over the front of the shoulder and in the mid to upper back.
- The position of the weights encourages improvement in postural alignment.
- The long weighted vest would appeal more to the 60 plus age group – while the shorter one might have more appeal with a younger group.
- Costs: $132.00 includes 10 pounds of weights.
- Note to Canadians: Add $20.00 for shipping.
For more information, check out my Osteoporosis Guidelines.